Thursday, August 4, 2011

S'Mores Sandwich Cookies

This is my friend Ira:

He's just started enjoying my S'mores Sandwich Cookies. You see that beautiful thing in his hand there, that's pretty much the most amazing thing I've ever made in my entire life. And since I'm such a nice person I'm sharing it with you. 


First make a batch of Chewy Graham Cookies
     *Hint: keep your cookie sheets lined and at the ready. You can reuse them for this recipe. 

Second, make some Marshmallow Fluff. Don't be intimidated. This is great when used fresh, but stiffens up a bit when used the next day. It won't be that different, but I think it tasted better a day later. You can also use the stuff from the store, but this is really easy and it tastes a hundred times better. 



Marshmallow Fluff
*Adapted from My Kitchen Addiction


2 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt

Add a few inches of water to the bottom of a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Combine all ingredients into a metal bowl and place over the simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Beat with an electric hand mixer, it will gradually become fluffy then it will thicken and white and slightly glossy. In reality this should take about 8 minutes, it will feel longer. Sorry about that, but it's sooo worth it. 


Remove the bowl from the water and continue to mix for a few minutes until the fluff thickens a bit more. Allow to cool before spreading. Don't eat all of it while it's waiting to cool. 


If you're not using this immediately transfer to an airtight container. It will keep for 2-3 days, but do you really think it will stick around that long?


Okay, so you have your Cookies and Fluff. 
Next, melt some chocolate chips. You can do this in the microwave or over the stove. You'll be dipping the sandwiches into this, and I just eyeballed the amount of chocolate that I needed. You may as just do a whole 12 oz. bag, I mean who doesn't want melted chocolate lying around? Remember to add a teaspoon of vegetable oil to the chips.
If using a microwave, melt in 15 second intervals.
If using a double boiler, make sure you stir and that your bowl doesn't touch the water. 



Now take the cookies and match them up in pairs by size and shape. Lay them face down on a cookie sheet. 
Grab the Marshmallow Fluff and spread some into the center of one side of the cookies. You can use a piping bag but I just used a spatula. Cause that's how I roll. 
Now make your sandwich! I like to twist the top on so that the fluff spreads evenly around the cookie. 
They should look something like this:


 Next, and finally, dip them in the melted chocolate. Place on parchment lined cookie sheets to set. I put them in the fridge until the chocolate is set, around 30 minutes. When I took these to a BBQ I kept them in the fridge until they were ready to serve because it was hot outside and I didn't want the chocolate to melt. 


ENJOY.
And you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment