Monday, May 31, 2010

30 Day Challenge: Day Five

Is everyone enjoying their Memorial Day weekend? The mister and I have been enjoying our time off together, mostly being lazy but sometimes those are the best days. Last night we watched the last four Harry Potter movies and we may watch the first three today. That's if I can turn off the Hoarders marathon...why is this show so fascinating? 
But I digress, the topic for today's 30 day challenge is:

What is your favorite quote?


Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an end but a unique event in itself. This leaf has jagged edges. This rock looks loose. From this place the snow is less visible, even though closer. These are things you should notice anyway. To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow.

This quote comes from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. I love it because I think of any challenge like a mountain that needs to be climbed. Especially now that I am challenged everyday in my classes I need to remember to look at the big picture and not get bogged down with the small stuff. All this stress is temporary, it's the journey I should be paying attention to. Of course there are days where this is easier said than done, but that's why I have this quote on hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment