Friday, October 8, 2010

Fresh Food Friday!

Happy Friday everyone! I've decided to start a new thing here on my little corner of the interwebs. Fresh Food Fridays!
For the last four months the mister and I have been getting our veggies from a local CSA (consumer supported agriculture). I had wanted to do this for a while but had never followed through until this summer. During my Environmental Politics class last spring we had a speaker come and tell us all about the different options that were available to us here in the Eugene area. It's amazing the amount of small farms that we are surrounded by. One day I was talking to the mister about it and we decided that we were going to do it, and that we were going to start as soon as we could. 

There were two reasons we decided to buy local:
1. The amount of "fresh" non-organic vegetables we were buying at the store every week was comparable in price to the amount we would be paying for organic veg with the CSA. I was also fed up with buying veg and having it go bad within two or three days.
2. I come from a family of farmers. So doesn't it makes sense that I would support my local farmer?

We chose Sweetwater Farms in Creswell. We went with them because they offered three different sizes of boxes (small, medium, large), you pay by the month and they offer food for 50 weeks a year. If you want to check them out a little more here is their website: http://goodfoodeasy.com/index.html

Here's how it works:
Once a month I send them a check for my share.
On Wednesday I get an email with their newsletter letting me know what I will be receiving. They also include some recipes which is nice.
Thursday on the way home from picking up the mister we pick up our share. Then we come home and oogle over all the yummy things that we get.   

During the summer there were a lot of peppers and tomatoes, so we ate A LOT of stir fry and BLT's. Now that I have gotten used to having so many amazing veggies in my fridge, and since it's cooled down, I'm starting to get a little more brave about cooking. 

So here we come to Fresh Food Friday's.
Usually I'll post a picture of my haul, with a list of the recipes I want to try and maybe a copy of the recipes I'll be using. 
But tonight since I've written so much already, I'm just giving you a picture, and my menu. Sorry but my brain is shot.

So here's what we got:


Carrots, Romaine Lettuce,Potatoes, Tropea Onion, Eggs, Liberty Apples and


Plums. There was also Basil, but it didn't make it into the picture.


Here's the Menu:
Most of these include a lot of the leftovers we have from last week...

Broccoli, Beef and Brown Rice
   *Broccoli from last week and carrots

Broccoli and Mushroom Pasta Alfredo
   *Again Broccoli and Mushrooms from last week

Potatoes O'Brien (with bacon for breakfast Saturday)
   *Potatoes, Onion 

Traditional Sunday night dinner (pork chops, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob)
   *Corn on the cob from last week 

Leftover Pork, Wild Rice and Plum Salad
    *Plums and Pluots from last week


Chicken Ceaser Salad
    *Lettuce


Pound cake with Plum Sauce and Vanilla Ice Cream
    *Plums
  
Maybe I'll post the recipes when I make them, if they're delicious of course. If you want any of them just let me know and I'll post them or the links to them. 

Now I'm going to watch some baseball and let my brain relax. 

Enjoy your Friday night!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment